Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Thyroid-stimulating hormone

I didn't even know I had a Thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) until I got test results from my doctor indicating that it may be lower than normal. I visited him about a month ago with gastrointestinal discomfort and unexpected weight loss. He ran a battery of tests including for TSH. My level was low, indicating that I may be producing too much thyroid hormones (thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3)). I was worried that this might have been a result of me not getting enough iodoine because my wife and I eat most of our meals at home using Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt which does not contain iodine unlike table salts. My doctor said he'd expect the reverse since iodine is required to produce the thyroid hormones. So, if I were low on iodine, he'd expect low levels of thyroid hormones which would cause the Hypothalamus to produce more TSH and result in a high TSH test result. He did blood work today to do a full battery of thyroid tests. I'll report back when I find out the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment