Friday, June 25, 2010

Trader Joe's Peppermint Toothpaste

I felt that I should single-out this toothpaste because it single-handedely solved my canker sore problem. When I realized 4 years ago that my canker sores might have been caused by an ingredient in most toothpastes (sodium lauryl sulfate), I went searching for a toothpaste without SLS. Trader Joe's Peppermint toothpaste was the only one I found! Granted, I didn't do an exhaustive search. But, it is somewhat amazing the extent to which SLS infiltrates toothpaste ingredients. Even "natural" toothpastes, like Tom's of Maine, use SLS. TJ's toothpaste is baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) based and is apparently much gentler on the gums than normal toothpastes. I went from having 10+ painful canker sores per month (often multiple at the same time) to one mild sore every few months. It took about a year to see the full effect, though I saw a significant decrease in canker sores after a month.

Based on this post, I'm not alone in praising TJ's toothpaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment